Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Journey of a lifetime begins with one small step



I had been toying with the idea of starting a blog for some time. I want a place to record my observations as I journey toward the Heavenly Jerusalem, a way to record my spiritual thoughts so that someday I can look back and say: "Ahh, I remember that."

There are many places in the Bible where God commands us to set aside days and times to reflect and remember: The Sabbath is to remember God our Creator, Communion is to remember God our redeemer, both were ordained by God. Christmas—though man-established helps us remember God as man, and the Resurrection Day helps us remember that God reigns even over death. Deuteronomy and Proverbs are particularly filled with the instruction to "forget not my laws," to remember, for they bring blessings and are the way to life.

Deuteronomy 17:18-19 says it this way: “Now it shall come about when he sits on the throne of his kingdom, he shall write for himself a copy of this law on a scroll in the presence of the Levitical priests. “It shall be with him and he shall read it all the days of his life, that he may learn to fear the LORD his God, by carefully observing all the words of this law and these statutes, that his heart may not be lifted up above his countrymen and that he may not turn aside from the commandment, to the right or the left, so that he and his sons may continue long in his kingdom."

Perhaps it's my penchant to live like royalty, perhaps it's because the way to God is through the Bible—not just through reading it but through understanding it and adjusting my life to God's word (notice that there is a difference between applying scripture to my life, and adjusting my life to scripture,) but several times I've set thoughts and scripture to paper in order to know and understand Him better.

My prayer is that God uses this blog for His glory, that I don't wander from His purpose, and that I stay true to Him. I also write for those who are willing to join me in the journey, for those who are curious in where I've been and how I intend to get to where I'm going. (Whence the name: Through the Bower Window.) It's like pointing out a hidden bird in a tree to a companion; taking her chin and lining her vision up your arm and over your fingertip, and saying: "Look. See. Behold." 

No comments:

Post a Comment