Saturday, December 10, 2011

The view from the ash pile - Job

Spent much of the Sabbath listening to the book of Job.

Marveled at Job who alternately defends himself to his "friends," makes his case to God, and praises and seeks God's comfort. Not unlike us when we feel that life has backed us into a corner. But in Job's case "life" was merely a reflection of a greater battle--that between God and Satan. Job was God's workmanship. It was Job that was in the fire, but it was God that was being tested. Would His creature stay true to the Creator? (No doubt a foreshadowing of when Satan tempted Jesus.) But unlike many of the contemporary Christian fiction books, Job did not rebel and become angry at God but he bowed his head and turned toward His creator: “As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, And at the last He will take His stand on the earth. Even after my skin is destroyed,Yet from my flesh I shall see God; Whom I myself shall behold, And whom my eyes will see and not another." Imagine Job's emotions when he says the next line: Ahh! "My heart faints within me!"

This brings to mind another thoughts: "Satan is like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour. (1 Pet. 5:8) We see this clearly in Job, again with the temptation of Christ, and with Peter: "Satan has asked to have you, to sift you like wheat...Pray that you might not be tempted." (Luke 22:31,46) How many times has Satan asked to sift us like wheat? Are we praying that we might not be tempted?

No comments:

Post a Comment