Monday, June 10, 2013

Exploding Toilets

I'm used to starting my day in a quiet environment, so I was rattled when my power flush toilet started vibrating and groaning like a caged lion that hadn't eaten for days. I recalled the true story I heard many many years ago of an apartment with newly installed water saving toilets that started exploding. My commode is 12 years old, but the picture has stayed with me. I immediately distanced myself. When the groaning continued I gingerly flushed it and it seemed to end the mutterings of the beast...for a time.

An internet search assured me that exploding toilets weren't just scenes from a horror movie. That in fact, there was recall on MY toilet. A faulty seam could give way causing the sudden release of pressure which would blow up the tank like a small land mine, sending bits of porcelain like missiles embedding itself in the surrounding fixtures. In 14 cases injuries were reported, as one victim put it; someone of lesser bulk might have been hurt more seriously.

All is still well at my house, and I'm anxiously waiting for my repair kit in the mail, but if you have a Flushmaster III system hiding by a porcelain fixture, recognize that it may be waiting to strike, and check out the recall notice.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your post. Our goal is to ensure Flushmate customers who have units within the scope of the recall have the information they need to quickly get their toilets working properly with the repair kit installed. So we appreciate your help in getting the word out.

    The best way for your readers to find out if a Flushmate unit is within the scope of the recall is to go to http://www.flushmate.com/recall/ or call 1-800-303-5123. Our call center and customer service representatives – all based here in the US – will work to serve each individual customer.

    Thank you,

    Scott R.
    Flushmate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone of lesser bulk, eh?

    We'll have to keep this in mind when installed what we refer to as a "shock and awe toilet" in Grandma's bathroom!

    ReplyDelete