Saturday, June 1, 2013

Keeping a journal, that if I don't love, I'll at least enjoy doing.

The other day I picked up a used book at my local Discount Christian Bookstore. It's entitled "Keeping a Journal you Love" by Sheila Bender.


I have to admit, despite recognizing the benefit of having a "blessing book" and being a writer, I've never been able to successfully journal regularly. I'm not sure why, maybe because writing for my own benefit doesn't fit into my logic--sort of the same reason that I don't like taking walks that don't lead me somewhere. But though the body is weak the spirit has always been willing. And I'm hoping that by following the ideas in this book it will make journaling a joy for me. I've already identified one of my problems--because my goal is to be a profession writer, I try too hard. I haven't been writing for myself, or for my own thoughts and feelings, but I'm writing for the world at large, and as soon as I do that then journaling becomes mentally time consuming. The pain of having everything perfect defeats the beauty of off-the-cuff prose.


Here is to doing what I know I ought to do...journaling the story of God's presence in my life. And if my words don't present themselves like a succulent tenderloin, perhaps they will at least have the heartiness of a juicy hamburger.

No comments:

Post a Comment