Friday, November 13, 2015

If The Saddle Fits...

Last winter I learned the importance of having a good fitting saddle. There's a highly respected saddle fitter in the area, and as I looked for horses throughout the summer I also kept tabs on when she would be visiting the barn, so that if needed I could coordinate my new buddy's arrival with her visit. As it happened, I was able to get Risonho here two days before the saddle fitter was scheduled, enough time to get him settled in before I had to get on him for the first time in a new barn.

I felt blessed, that after  taking measurements, the saddle fitter had a used saddle with her that fit him almost perfectly. Having gone through this before with the lease horse, and knowing how difficult it is to find a used saddle that fits, I hesitated only a little before I plunked down the cash for the saddle.

I've been riding it in for a month now, and though the basic shape fit Risonho well, it hit him in the withers and I've been anticipating the day the saddle fitter would return to adjust the flocking. Today was the day!

Afterwards, I rode him. He felt forward and I felt in balance. He moved easily off my leg and transitioned when I asked. The last two weeks I've been attempting a leg yield, but with only one lesson haven't quite been able to bring it together on my own.  Today, he did what felt like a few very nice leg yields--he  remained straight in the shoulders, and crossed his front and back legs as he moved sideways. When things started falling apart, as they inevitably eventually did, I moved him straight forward and then asked again.

Some of the improvement may have been the saddle. However, unlike previous times, I made sure that he was straight and pushing into both reins, before I asked him to go sideways. This, I believe, is what made the most improvement.

I also attempted to do the shoulder-in, with, I believe, some success--it was hard to tell because I couldn't see the mirrors very well, but at times he did seem to be going in three tracks.

This week Risonho's training had a number of interruptions--his health, and the saddle fitter. Hopefully, next week we'll be in the swing of things; Jesse will be able to ride him regularly, and I might even be able to get a lesson as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment