Friday, November 6, 2015

The First Steps

I've had Risonho for a month now. He's really a sweet guy. Whenever I get him from the paddock, he nickers as I put his halter on, and then later when I turn him back out. 

Over the summer my balance and leg positions have improved, but my lack of knowledge is telling. Risonho needs to relax his neck and push through his back more. I can feel when he's not doing it, but I'm not that successful at encouraging him to do it. 

He seems to be feeling tight, and  the last few days our ride has started out sluggish. Part of it is likely the saddle, which needs to be flocked to fit him. Part of it, no doubt, is just me.

Good news! I think I'm finally in the trainer's schedule. None-too-soon, if you ask me. I've enjoyed the time I've had to bond with Risonho without interruption, but we could stand to have some professional help.

Jesse rode yesterday and today. He confirmed that Risonho was tight. Today we put a Mattes pad under the saddle to lift it off of his withers. Jesse spent a lot of time walking him, getting him to soften and let go, particularly on the left rein, but also through his neck and back as well.

It took him about 15 minutes of walking, suppleing, flexing, bending, etc. before Risonho started relaxing.

Notes on the day:
  • The rein means "softness" -- when the rider picks up the rein the horse should soften.
  • Take all the time you need to get the softness in the flexion and bending at the walk. 
  • Don't go into the trot with him tense.
  • Don't let him be heavy in the reins...but don't hang on the reins, or tighten to try and get him to release it. Don't let it become a tug-of-war between you and him. Work with him at it.
  • When he softens reward him by softening the tension on the reins--at least in the beginning.
On another note: I've heard a lot about the rider moving the hip toward the elbow in asking for sideways movements. (Along with the use of pressure from outside calf.) I've been struggling with trying to figure out what exactly my "hip" meant. After watching several videos I tried earlier this week to ask for a leg yield--which is easy enough on Risonho when turning the corner, but I wasn't getting in a straight. He can do very nice leg yield and half passes for other riders--so trying to figure out what this rider's error is.  I can't get his hind legs to cross and he's always leading with shoulders. After watching Jesse, I determined that "hip" means more of a sliding your lower hip bone toward elbow in the direction you're going. I'm sure this will all become clear to me in the future, but right now I'm just sorting through the confusion---I'll give it a try and see how it goes!


No comments:

Post a Comment